Lower School Years
Ages 10 to 12
- Foundation in literacy and numeracy – introduced and supported by real life experiences and developed in an individual pace according with the child’s needs. Implementation of the Big Write technique.
- Project based learning in groups.
- Story telling, history, geography, biology, music and environmental science. Modern languages are taught in a conversational style.
- Weekly excursion days for hands-on learning such as hikes, field trips and outings.
Arts & Crafts
- Simple handcraft skills such as hand stitching, knitting and crochet in connection with the project themes to create for example felt animals or a hat. Wood craft skills such as whittling wood and green wood. Felting and simple leather work. Ancient handwork techniques such as making charcoal, building an iron age pit forge and making a simple poker for a project in ancient history.
- Painting, drawing, modelling and traditional craft techniques such as marbling and Ebru.
Physical Education and health/wellbeing
- Daily movement work such as gymnastics or games. Homemade meals prepared by the children and adults, and taken together at lunch, for example vegetable soup and freshly baked bread. Gardening and building projects.
- Daily assembly. Time for reflection on the day and a democratic discussion. Strong emphasis on the child as social being within a group.